Massachusetts Fallen Heroes is pleased to announce the first-ever, 10 day series of events honoring local veterans and families of the Fallen known as Patriot Week will run May 20 – May 30, 2016.
The announcement took place at the future home to the organization’s 50-foot memorial, which will be dedicated on May 27, 2016 to honor the sons and daughters of the Commonwealth who gave their lives since September 11, 2001 in service to the United States in the Global War on Terrorism.
The memorial is a five-sided diaphanous column with each side signifying the five branches of service. Throughout the day the waterfront’s light will reflect upon the tour. The tower is also illuminated internally, making it visible from vantage points around the harbor and downtown Boston through the evening hours. The memorial will stand as a symbol of remembrance of those who sacrificed their lives for our nation.
“Many years of hard work and passion have been put into this memorial and we are excited to finally give our fallen the dedication and remembrance that they deserve,” said Dan Magoon, executive director of Massachusetts Fallen Heroes. “In conjunction with the unveiling of the memorial, we are thrilled to launch the first-ever Patriot Week which will invite the Commonwealth to partake in educational programming and festivities throughout the week.”
Highlights of Patriot Week include:
- Statewide Educational Launch, which begins on May 20th, invites various schools across the state to work with teachers, principals and faculty members to educate students about Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day. Through literature and resources provided by Massachusetts Fallen Heroes, educators are able to create personalized lesson plans for their students in hopes of increasing their awareness.
- Massachusetts Fallen Heroes 5K Road Race on Saturday, May 21st at Carson Beach in South Boston. Participants will run 3.1 miles along Carson Beach to honor the fallen. The flat and scenic race course will be topped off with live music by Cask Mousse.
- Massachusetts Fallen Heroes’ First Fashion Show featuring Lindsay Tia on Tuesday, May 24th at the Coppersmith Bar, South Boston. Lindsay Tia has joined forces with Massachusetts Fallen Heroes to support Fallen Heroes, Veterans and their families with her new “Bravery Brand.”
- Dedication of the Memorial & Reception on Friday, May 27th to honor the fallen and will include Gold Star Family members, Governor Baker, Mayor Walsh, General John Kelly as keynote speaker along with Medal of Honor Recipient SSG Ryan Pitts, Massachusetts Fallen Heroes staff and board members. Four wreaths will be laid to represent each branch of the military and will be joined by the 215th Army Band. The 101st Field Artillery Unit of the MANG, along with the Concord Battery and a cannon from the USS Constitution will fire in tandem with a 21 Gun Salute.
- Fenway for the Fallen at the historic home to the Boston Red Sox on Saturday, May 28th. Gold Star Family members, veterans and celebrities will participate in Massachusetts Fallen Heroes’ annual Softball Classic.
- Patriot Fest Concert following Fenway for the Fallen at Blue Hills Bank Pavilion on Saturday, May 28th. Performers include Tigerman WOAH, Mallet Brothers Band, Cask Mousse, Ghost of Paul Revere, These Wild Plains and Dalton and the Sheriffs. The highly anticipated song Valhalla will be performed by Danny Lynch in honor of all fallen heroes.
In addition to these key events of Patriot Week, various events will take place throughout the week to honor the fallen. All events are open to the public and Massachusetts Fallen Heroes gives special thanks to Presenting Sponsor: Suffolk Construction Company and its Chairman & CEO, John Fish.