Patriot Week, Armed Forces Day to Memorial Day May 20-29th
March 19th, 2017
Massachusetts Fallen Heroes Patriot Week
In 2016, Massachusetts Fallen Heroes created the first ever Patriot Week as a lead-in to Memorial Day. The goal was to find creative and meaningful ways to educate and inspire the citizens of Massachusetts about patriotism, sacrifice and freedom—the real meaning behind Memorial Day and the values that so many young men and women have given their lives to protect. The result was an enormous success and we received positive feedback across the Commonwealth and now Patriot Week will be an annual and much-needed event in the Bay State. Please visit the patriot week website for event details and don’t forget to purchase your tickets for Patriot Fest. Patriot Fest will be headlined by American country music singers and songwriters Tyler Farr and Eric Paslay and supported by Dalton and the Sheriffs and Louie Bello. To
Mass Save® and Massachusetts Fallen Heroes Raise Over $22,000 for Massachusetts Veterans and Families of the Fallen
February 9th, 2017
(February 9, 2017 – Boston, MA) – Massachusetts Fallen Heroes (MFH), a nonprofit dedicated to honoring the fallen, assisting families of the Fallen and empowering veterans, has received over $22,000 from a fundraiser made possible by the sponsors of Mass Save®. From June through December of last year, the Mass Save sponsors worked with retailer TechniArt to sell more than 4,400 specially designed packages of LED bulbs, with half of the proceeds going to MFH. “The amount of support we’ve received from the sponsors of Mass Save is incredible,” said Dan Magoon, executive director of MFH. “The generous funds that were raised will support Mass Fallen Heroes efforts of providing assistance and advocacy services to our Gold Star families as well as our returning veterans, and for that we are extremely grateful.
Massachusetts Fallen Heroes, in collaboration with National Auto Body Council’s Recycled Rides Program, MetLife, and Todays Auto Collision in Malden, MA, donated a refurbished 2014 Kia SUV to Gold Star wife Erin Vasselian. Erin’s husband, Marine Sgt. Daniel Vasselian of Abington was killed in action on December 23, 2013 in Afghanistan. This is the sixth car MFH has donated, with this being the first to a Gold Star family member. Many thanks to all who played a part. Enterprise donated a gas card for Erin as well.
Chronicle: Fallen Soldier’s Dad Explains Sacrifice
The Army band was warming up, the sound checks were still taking place, and Beth and Steve Sammis were standing in the sunshine in the Seaport, talking about their son, Ben.
Marine Captain Ben Sammis, from Rehoboth, was killed in Iraq in 2003 when the helicopter he was piloting went down in combat. His parents stood there, talking about Ben’s virtues, about what they miss most, when his dad said this:
Randy Price, Bob Halloran and Danielle Vollmar salute local vets during Patriot Week May 20-30
May 7th, 2016
Massachusetts Fallen Heroes is pleased to announce the first-ever, 10 day series of events honoring local veterans and families of the Fallen known as Patriot Week will run May 20 – May 30, 2016.
The announcement took place at the future home to the organization’s 50-foot memorial, which will be dedicated on May 27, 2016 to honor the sons and daughters of the Commonwealth who gave their lives since September 11, 2001 in service to the United States in the Global War on Terrorism.
The memorial is a five-sided diaphanous column with each side signifying the five branches of service. Throughout the day the waterfront’s light will reflect upon the tour. The tower is also illuminated internally, making it visible from vantage points around the harbor and downtown Boston through the evening hours. The memorial will stand as a symbol of remembrance of those who sacrificed their lives for our nation.
“Many years of hard work and passion have been put into this memorial and we are excited to finally give our fallen the dedication and remembrance that they deserve,” said Dan Magoon, executive director of Massachusetts Fallen Heroes. “In conjunction with the unveiling of the memorial, we are thrilled to launch the first-ever Patriot Week which will invite the Commonwealth to partake in educational programming and festivities throughout the week.”
Highlights of Patriot Week include:
• Statewide Educational Launch, which begins on May 20th, invites various schools across the state to work with teachers, principals and faculty members to educate students about Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day. Through literature and resources provided by Massachusetts Fallen Heroes, educators are able to create personalized lesson plans for their students in hopes of increasing their awareness.
• Massachusetts Fallen Heroes 5K Road Race on Saturday, May 21st at Carson Beach in South Boston. Participants will run 3.1 miles along Carson Beach to honor the fallen. The flat and scenic race course will be topped off with live music by Cask Mousse.
• Massachusetts Fallen Heroes’ First Fashion Show featuring Lindsay Tia on Tuesday, May 24th at the Coppersmith Bar, South Boston. Lindsay Tia has joined forces with Massachusetts Fallen Heroes to support Fallen Heroes, Veterans and their families with her new “Bravery Brand.”
• Dedication of the Memorial & Reception on Friday, May 27th to honor the fallen and will include Gold Star Family members, Governor Baker, Mayor Walsh, General John Kelly as keynote speaker along with Medal of Honor Recipient SSG Ryan Pitts, Massachusetts Fallen Heroes staff and board members. Four wreaths will be laid to represent each branch of the military and will be joined by the 215th Army Band. The 101st Field Artillery Unit of the MANG, along with the Concord Battery and a cannon from the USS Constitution will fire in tandem with a 21 Gun Salute.
• Fenway for the Fallen at the historic home to the Boston Red Sox on Saturday, May 28th. Gold Star Family members, veterans and celebrities will participate in Massachusetts Fallen Heroes’ annual Softball Classic.
• Patriot Fest Concert following Fenway for the Fallen at Blue Hills Bank Pavilion on Saturday, May 28th. Performers include Tigerman WOAH, Mallet Brothers Band, Cask Mousse, Ghost of Paul Revere, These Wild Plains and Dalton and the Sheriffs. The highly anticipated song Valhalla will be performed by Danny Lynch in honor of all fallen heroes.
In addition to these key events of Patriot Week, various events will take place throughout the week to honor the fallen. All events are open to the public and Massachusetts Fallen Heroes gives special thanks to Presenting Sponsor: Suffolk Construction Company and its Chairman & CEO, John Fish. For more information regarding Patriot Week and how you can get involved please visit: http://www.mfhpatriotweek.org/events/.
“People in our military give so much,” she told me. “Why not give them something back? Why not give someone serving in the military a beautiful outdoor wedding?”
Why not indeed. The people at Massachusetts Fallen Heroes were natural partners. They are spearheading the construction of a memorial to all those from Massachusetts who have died in service to the country since 9/11. But they are just as concerned with the living as the dead.